AS a novice photographer, I wanted to challenge myself. Thus I began the 365 day challenge, where I need to take a photo or write something everyday.I chose with the very broad topic "The World Around Me" because my desire to become a capable photographer has it's roots in the desire to share the world how I see it. This is a journal to document my journey!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 34- I am Unhindered by my Gender

Out of all the books I was assigned to read in high school, only one stands out, The Great Gatsby. I have long forgotten the plot, characters and settings. One sentence is all that I can recall.

"All right... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool--that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool."

Gatsby was written in 1925 and yet this one line impacted me so much 75 years later because for me, it was still true. I have always been a strong independent woman that follows her own path. I don't let the influence or opinions stop me. In this world, a woman cannot find the right path. People snub you for deciding to be a career woman, people snub you for wanting to stay at home with your kids. When I chose to leave college for a family, it was a waste... or so they said. I was too smart for the life of a housewife. It doesn't matter to the world that I want the best for my family and since I am "so smart" I think that I am the best for my family.

Women still hear you can't do that. Whether it is traditionalists or feminists, they don't want women to be capable of making their own choices. They want to guide them down the path that is the best roll for a woman in their opinion.

For me, I will live life with the male mindset and make my choices knowing that they are my choices. I will deal with the consequences and accept the responsibility. My life is not a waste and nor am I a fool.

On a side note, it was a blast to shoot these self portraits. I have to say I don't look too bad as a guy...

No comments:

Post a Comment